Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Clear Lake Plant Sale on Saturday

This Saturday, September 26th, is the annual fall Plant Sale put on by the local Master Gardners. They specialize in landscape plants adapted to live in the wonderful Houston climate. Prices are higher than local stores, but typically the quality is also much better. There will also be a selection of herbs, and the varieties are excellent! I have a several plants I got from the sale a few years ago that are still growing and I plan to get some more this year. One more thing, if you are from the north like me and you miss the spring daffodils, they also sell a small selection of bulbs that will grow here. They are not daffodils, but from the daffodil family I think - anyway they basically bloom clusters of small daffodil-looking flowers.

All the info you need about the sale is at http://hcmgap2.tamu.edu/sales.htm, including the List of Plants with descriptions. The gate opens at 8am for a plant preview class, and the sale starts at 9am. There are free classes on fall vegetable gardening and growing herbs given later in the sale. It is a great resource for anyone wanting to learn more about how to be a gardener in Houston. One word of warning - because of the high quality of the plants sold, this sale is wildly popular. A line forms out the gate before the sale opens, and checkout lines are pretty long. The fall sale is not as bad as the spring vegetable and fruit tree sale if I remember right though!

If anyone wants to team up to go, let me know because I am planning on going!

1 comment:

Emm said...

NOOOO! I am out of town, Erin pick me up something amazing (or some basil if all else fails :)